– When burning candle, always make sure that the candle burns long enough to liquify the top layer of wax. In that way you will prevent tunneling.
– Before burning,always trim the wick to ¼ inch. You can use a wick trimmer, nail clippers, or scissors. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
– When lighting a candle, use long matches or a long-reach lighter. Keep your hair and loose clothing away from the flame.
– Avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting.
– Never touch or move a burning candle. Never move a votive or container candle when the wax is liquefied.
– Don’t burn a candle all the way down. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 2 inches of wax remains (1/2 inch if in a container).
– Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering.
– Don’t touch or move the candle until it has completely cooled.